What colours do we see as we speak the words of our faith?
Princes shall come out of Egypt; Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hands unto God. -Psalm 68:31
How might the colour of Jesus effect our devotion?
Black History Month (October in UK, February in USA) offers Christians the opportunity to use worship words that include and celebrate diversity, past and present. Black History Month UK website provides reflective words in a Poets Corner.
Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church USA provides Liturgy Resources for Black History Month Worship. Read more.
2C300&ssl=1" loading="lazy" class="size-thumbnail wp-image-1132 alignleft" title="Black Madonna at Basilica of National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, photo by Onleilove Alston" src="https://worshipwords.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Black-Madonna-at-Basilica-of-National-Shrine-of-the-Immaculate-Conception-photo-by-Onleilove-Alston-150x150.jpg" alt="" width="150" height="150" srcset="https://i0.wp.com/worshipwords.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Black-Madonna-at-Basilica-of-National-Shrine-of-the-Immaculate-Conception-photo-by-Onleilove-Alston.jpg?resize=1502C200&ssl=1 200w, https://i0.wp.com/worshipwords.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Black-Madonna-at-Basilica-of-National-Shrine-of-the-Immaculate-Conception-photo-by-Onleilove-Alston.jpg?w=300&ssl=1 300w" sizes="(max-width: 150px) 100vw, 150px" />
What Churches Can Do to Uncover the Black Presence in the Bible During Black History Month and Lent:
- If you use Biblical images, make sure they are historically accurate.
- Utilize the African Heritage Study Bible, edited by Dr. Cain Hope Felder of Howard Divinity School, which includes essays and maps to aid your Bible study. Each passage of Scripture related to Africa is highlighted.
- How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind: Rediscovering the African Seedbed of Western Christianity (InterVarsity Press) by Thomas C. Oden, who dedicated his life to uncovering of the buried treasure of African Christianity.
- Africa’s Roots in God by Rev. Dr. Sed Yankson, Pastor of East New York SDA Church & Akan Royalty.
- The Black Presence in the Bible: Discovering the Black and African Identity of Biblical Persons and Nations by Dr. Walter A. McCray, President of The National Black Evangelical Association.
Onleilove Alston is the Executive Director of PICO Faith in NY, a board member and contributing writer for Sojourners, and founder of Prophetic Whirlwind: Uncovering the Black Biblical Destiny, an organization dedicated to uncovering the Black presence in the Bible via workshops, lectures, Bible study and devotional material. This was originally written for article in Sojourners Magazine.