Download a ready-to-use script:
This time with children might be used in connection with Psalm 100 ‘Sing a joyful noise…,’ Ephesians 5:19 ‘…making melody to God….’, or a service focusing on songs expressing our faith.
- a visual display of musical notes: this could be a drawn note or two, a piece of sheet music, or we used a small sculpture of two musical notes.
- a picture of Karl Barth — Click here for one option, here for another.
- What’s this? (show musical notes drawn, on sheet music or sculptured) Musical notes.
- What’s your favourite song?
- When and where do you sing?
- There was once a famous minister and teacher, named Karl Barth (show picture). Karl wrote many big books about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and church. Once, after a long talk, a student asked Reverend Barth how he would sum up his teachings in a few words? Reverend Barth thought and thought, and then he sang: Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so…
Pray with me. God, thank you for the gifts of lyrics and music, songs. When we are at a loss for words, music speaks. May the songs of our hearts sing to you, today, and forever. Amen.