The progressive Christianity movement continues to morph and evolve in relationship to the voices rising up within the Christian movement as a whole. Freedom of both thought and practice within Christianity are paramount to groups and individuals identifying themselves as Progressive Christians. Respect and humility are upheld as paramount regarding how Christians relate to other religions and beliefs. There are on-going discussions and trials seeking common ground, common definitions and common understandings, but the nature of the movement defies structure and agreement.
Progressive isn’t a place. It is a state of mind and the next step from wherever you find yourself entrenched. Whether in the church, in your workplace, or in your relationships, a progressive perspective is characterized by openness, passion, creativity, and a willingness to explore beyond wherever you are at the moment.Canadian Progressive Christianity
Members seek a credible and inclusive way to follow Jesus. We are unafraid to question traditional church teaching; we value contemporary thought and recent biblical understanding. We do not offer a set of answers but we invite you to join us in asking the questionsProgressive Christian Network Britain
Progressive Christianity is an open, intelligent, and collaborative approach to the Christian tradition and the life and teachings of Jesus that creates a pathway into an authentic and relevant religious experience.Progressive Christianity USA
...a network of people who are exploring new approaches to Christianity in their search for meaning and the development of a contemporary spiritualityProgressive Christianity Network of South Australia
The logo for Progressive Christianity of Victoria, Australia, at the top of this post, says it all: Open hearts, Open hands, Open minds.
Investigating alternatives to traditional religious beliefs and practices and new ways to understand religious faithProgressive Christianity Network of Victoria, Australia
Core Values of Progressive Christianity
Progressive Christianity USA has identified Core Values for Progressive Christianity, adding the caveat, ‘Please take these lightly but seriously. They are not dogma, they are simply a starting point to establish conversations and a foundation of values and beliefs that we have observed Progressive Christians generally share. It’s ok if you don’t agree with all the words or all the parts. We support your authentic path. You can use these in your faith communities and with family and friends to talk about what it means to you to be a Progressive Christian in today’s world. Here is to always progressing!’ (Core values were updated in 2022.)
‘By calling ourselves progressive Christians, we mean that we are Christians who…
- Believe that following the way and teachings of Jesus can lead to experiencing sacredness, wholeness, and unity of all life, even as we recognize that the Spirit moves in beneficial ways in many faith traditions.
- Seek community that is inclusive of all people, honouring differences in theological perspective, age, race, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, class, or ability.
- Strive for peace and justice among all people, knowing that behaving with compassion and selfless love towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe.
- Embrace the insights of contemporary science and strive to protect the Earth and ensure its integrity and sustainability.
- Commit to a path of life-long learning, believing there is more value in questioning than in absolutes.