These Café Church worship services weave together scripture, drama, reflection, conversation & communion. They have been designed for worship around tables, but are easily adaptable to a more traditional setting.
Each service includes everything you need — an Order of Service to handout, leader script sheets, reader printouts, song suggestions, a list of supplies, a communion service and even suggestions for table decorations.
All materials are free and ready-to-print and use in part or as a whole service.
These worship services were originally created by Ana Gobledale, with a grant from the United Reformed Church in Great Britain, specifically for use at the Open Table community, a ‘safe sacred space for LGBT+ Christians & all who believe in an inclusive Church’, worshipping at St John’s United Reformed Church in Warrington, UK. An attempt has been made to avoid binary language.
What is Open Table? (The following text is taken directly from the Open Table website.)
- Safe sacred space for LGBTQIA+ Christians & all who believe in an inclusive Church.
- Open Table is an ecumenical Christian worship community which offers a warm welcome to people who are: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer / Questioning, Intersex, Asexual (LGBTQIA) and all who seek an inclusive Church.
- Open Table aims to create a safe sacred space for you to explore your faith and what it means for you. Whoever you are, wherever you come from, you are welcome here.
- Open Table shouldn’t need to exist. Our vision is of a world where LGBTQIA+ people are fully included within our church traditions and communities. Until then, we will continue to nurture safe, sacred, inclusive space where LGBTQIA+ Christians can ‘come as you are’.
- Open Table began in Liverpool in July 2008. Now Open Table communities gather across the UK, hosted by inclusive churches. Click here to read a brief history of Open Table, published in Journeys in Grace and Truth, edited by Jayne Ozanne, June 2016.
Where are Open Table communities today? Click on the link for a list of worshipping communities.